Are you uncomfortable with guest users logging into your MacBook without your permission?
And that makes you want to delete or remove the guest user account on your Mac?
Well, if you are the admin of your MacBook, it isn’t a big task!
Being the admin you have full control over who can gain access to your Mac and who can’t.
So it’s up to you if you want people to have access to your Mac or not.
But first, let’s talk about how a guest user can log in and how much access it has on your Mac.
- Firstly, the guest user doesn’t need a password to log in until you as the admin create another user account and password for the user.
- Another important thing to note is that a guest user cannot change user or computer settings.
- Guest user has only access to installed apps and browser for using the internet.
- Other than that the guest user cannot gain access to admin files.
But if you turn off the guest login feature then no one will have temporary access to your Mac.
In this article, we will tell you exactly how to do that!
But first, did you check out our guide on “How to quickly import photos from iPhone to Mac“. I am sure you will find it useful.
How to Remove Guest User on Mac?
We have listed four simple steps that you have to follow to remove the feature of guest user on log in screen of your Mac.
Before heading straight to the steps it is important to note that how removing guest user on your Mac can affect you negatively as well.
- Having a guest user login feature on your Mac helps to protect your privacy. This is in case someone has to use your Mac and you have only admin user access available at that time. By sharing your admin account the user can see, edit, and change many preferences and settings as per choice. And also look at your browsing history which you would not like.
- Another great positive thing that comes along with having a guest user is that when a user logs off from a guest user account all the related information and temporary files get removed immediately. So no space is consumed in this case. But when another user is using an admin account all the files and caches are stored there till you don’t delete them manually.
So now you know what pros and cons comes with disabling guest user on Mac.
Now let’s lead straight to the steps!
1. Open System Preferences
- Go to the Apple menu located on the top-left corner of the desktop and click on the apple logo.
- Choose “System Preferences” from the drop-down menu.
- A new window will pop up.
2. Choose “Users and Groups”
- Click on “Users and Groups” and a
newwindow will open.
3. Unlock window with Admin Password
- Click on the lock icon located on the bottom-left corner of the users and groups window.
- You will be prompted to enter the admin name and password.
- Fill in the required fields and click on unlock.
4. Remove guest user to log in to Mac
- Click on the “Guest User”
- Now uncheck the “Allow guests to log in to this computer” box.
- Now the guest users will no longer be able to access your Mac.
- Click on the lock to prevent any further changes.
In case you lose your Mac then this guest account works with “Find my Mac” feature of iCloud to find a stolen Mac.
When your lost Mac is located by someone and they try to login with the guest account feature and use the internet to browse then you can find your Mac. As you will get notified about the guest’s access to your Mac.
If you remove the guest user login then you can’t use the “Find my Mac” feature with iCloud to locate your lost or stolen Mac.
We hope you found this article useful about how to delete guest user on Mac.
If you have any queries please let us know in the comment section below.
We value your feedback!
You can also subscribe to our newsletter to get the