Have you just lost one of your AirPods, or maybe both of them?
Or are you looking for your missing AirPods case as well?
The first thing you need to do is not to panic!
And I mean it.
Although finding your AirPods that you paid a big hefty amount for can be frustrating the minute you realize they are not in your sight anymore.
But believe me, this is not the end of the world.
Before going straight to the conclusion that they are lost forever, let’s put some good effort into finding them.
Here in this article, I have compiled an all-in-all guide to find your lost AirPods or just one of them. This also includes a method to find them if your AirPods are offline.
And I am also sharing an effective guide to play a sound on your AirPods to make it easy to look for them if they are around you.
Let’s dig in some history first!
Apple’s 1st Generation AirPods was released back on December 13, 2016. Then on March 20, 2019, came the 2nd Generation AirPods. And how can we forget the AirPods Pro which was released in 2019?
Since then they have become a hit, even though they are priced at the heavy side.
The AirPods are not just cool and stylish but they are many steps ahead of the regular earphones.
Take for example their built-in microphone which the background noise cancellation.
You can even use Siri with your AirPods. And how can we forget them being wireless which made them a hit in the first place?
Methods on How to Find Lost AirPods
How can you possibly lose them?
Remember we talked about AirPods wireless feature, which made it most popular?
And this also makes it easy to lose!
Don’t believe me? Keep reading to find out how.
With the earphones, it was never an issue of losing one as they were connected to a wire. And if one earphone slips out of your ear, you would instantly know or it would hang with the wire.
Now with AirPods, that’s not the case.
You can misplace then while you are changing your clothes, they can easily come out of your ear. And they are so small it is easy to forget them if not kept safely.
Want to prevent losing your AirPods in the first place? Follow these tips.
Prevention is better than cure!
If you haven’t lost your AirPods yet, it is better to follow some simple tips to keep them from losing.
Most people lose there AirPods when they are doing some activity. To be accurate any activity involving a lot of movement. To prevent your AirPods from falling during that time you can use Earhooks or AirPod covers.
Another tip is to keep them in there case when not in use. If you are traveling try to keep your AirPods in the case and inside your bags. Because during traveling you can easily forget where you have been last.
Do not open and keep them on a table or a bar. you will probably not notice them when you are about to leave.
Now, these were all tips on how you can prevent losing them so you would not need to find them.
But as we know how careful we are sometimes they will just get lost.
So here is how to get them back in that case?
1. Turn on “Find My [Device]” on Your iPhone
Note: This step is applicable if you have not already lost your AirPods and are looking for preventive measures. Moreover, most iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch owners activate “Find My [Device]” in case there iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch is lost.
Here we are sharing steps for an iPhone.
So if you have already Turned On Find My [Device] on your iPhone, skip this step and go-ahead to the second method.
If you haven’t activated Find My [Device] on your iPhone and have lost your AirPods the time you are reading this article, then check out the fifth method on the list.
Follow the steps to Turn On “Find My [Device]”.
- Launch the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- On top of the “Settings” page, you will find your Apple ID “Name“. Click on it. This action opens everything related to your Apple ID.
- Scroll down and you will find an option of “Find My” with a green circular icon next to it. Click on it. Your “Find My” page will open.
- You will find the “Find My iPhone” option on the top of the page. Now if you already have activated it, you will see “On” next to it. And if it is deactivated, you will see “Off” right next to it. Just like in this case.
- Now again click on the “Toggle” next to “Find My iPhone”. It will turn green.
- By default, the next option “Enable Offline Finding” is activated. But if not, be sure to click on the “Toggle” next to it so that it turns green as well.
- And last make sure that “Send Last Location” which is the third option is enabled. Enabling this option will “Automatically send the location of this iPhone to Apple when the battery is critically low.
That is it!
You have successfully enabled “Find My iPhone” now. Now let’s see how is it related to finding your AirPods.
For that check out the next step!
2. Use “Find My” to Trace Your AirPods on your iPhone
Note: If you have already enabled “Find My” for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, with which you are using your AirPods, it means that it is automatically enabled for your AirPods too.
Isn’t that good news!
You do not even have an idea and Apple has got a backup plan for you.
Follow the steps to use “Find My” to locate AirPods using iPhone
- Launch “Settings” on your iPhone.
- Click on your “Apple ID Name” on the top of the Settings page.
- Further click on “Find My“.
- Next click on “Find My iPhone” on the top. Not only does “Find My” enables your iPhone but also other accessories such as AirPods to be shown on the map.
- Click on the “Devices” option on the bottom. Here you can see the list of all the devices connected to your Apple ID such as your AirPods, iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook, etc. Under each device, the location of the device will is given. Or you can also see “No Location Found” caption too.
- Click on your “AirPods” option. You will be able to see the current or last location of your AirPods on the map.
- Follow the location and retrieve your AirPods.
Note: It is important to note here that the map will show only one location at a time. So for instance you have lost only one of your AirPods, then keep the remaining AirPods in its case. This will ensure that your iPhone will not be able to confuse its location with the other one. Now refresh your page and find the location of your lost AirPod.
Now, what if you are not close to your iPhone and want to use your computer instead to find your missing AirPods.
The next method will sort the steps for you.
3. Use “Find My” to Trace Your AirPods on your Computer
I would recommend using the iPhone to find your AirPods because then you can easily follow the map and trace the location.
Bt if in case you don’t have your iPhone handy at the time, go ahead and use your computer to find your AirPods.
Follow the steps to use “Find My” to locate AirPods using a computer.
- Open your web browser and visit www.icloud.com.
- Sign in to iCloud with your “Apple ID” and password.
- You may be asked to enter a “Verification Code” received on your device. Enter it and continue.
- From the iCloud menu click on “Find iPhone“. It can take a few seconds to load. Be patient.
- Again Sign in with your “Apple ID Password“. A map will open.
- Next click on “All Devices” from the top. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Click on your “AirPods” option. The location of your AirPods will appear on the map. Follow it to find your AirPods.
- Once you have found them Sign out of your iCloud account and close the window.
If you have reached the location but still are not able to find your AirPods, a sound from your device can make a difference then.
Check out the next method to locate your AirPods following their sound.
4. Play a Sound to Spot Your AirPods
What if you reach the location where your AirPods are? But still, you cannot see them because they are so tiny.
In this case, if your AirPods make a sound you can quickly trace it and find them. Right!
The only thing to note here is that your AirPods need to be connected to Bluetooth with your device at the time.
Now as we have discussed earlier there are two ways to connect your AirPods, using “Find My” App and iCloud.com. So here also you can use either to make your AirPods create a sound.
Note: If you have lost only one of your AirPods, make sure the other one is not in your ear, because the sound your AirPods makes is a sharp one.
Follow the steps below to play a sound on your AirPods.
- Open the “Find My” app.
- Navigate to “Devices” located at the bottom.
- Choose your “AirPods” from the device’s options.
- Click on “Play Sound“. This sound will keep getting louder and will be played for around 2 minutes. You can play the sound again if you did not find your AirPods in the first attempt.
- You can also “Stop” sound by clicking on the Stop option when you find your AirPods.
Remember in the first method we talked about if you didn’t enabled “Find My [Device]” on your iPhone. Check out the method below in this case, when your AirPods are offline.
5. What to do if your AirPods are Offline?
As we already discussed the “Find My [Device]” feature is very important if you want to track your AirPods. So if you haven’t enabled them and have lost your AirPods, you can not enable it now.
And if you see “No Location Found” under your AirPods you cannot use the sound feature too, for playing the sound on them. But there is a slight chance that you can get the directions to the location where they were last connected.
What if your AirPods get connected, then you will receive a notification on a device you use them with.
In case your AirPods run out of battery, then also you cannot trace them till someone goes ahead and charges them.
And if your AirPods are lost while still in the case them also it is not possible to trace them. They need to be out of the case and On.
The last thing is that your AirPods can be traced only within a specific location. If you are far away from your AirPods you cannot trace them. But you can use there the last location to find them.
Note: “Find My” is the only solution to trace your AirPods. There is no other application or way to do this job otherwise.
So these were the methods you could use on “How to Find Lost AirPods”.
But what if you still couldn’t find them?
The last resort is to buy new ones.
Check out the next method to know more.
6. How to Replace a Missing AirPod or Case
Apple offers to replace your missing AirPods (both or even one) and your case as well. You will need the Serial Number of your AirPods to order a replacement.
To find the Serial Number, open the device you use with the AirPods and then open Settings > General >About > AirPods.
Now go ahead and Contact the Apple Support for setting up the replacement.
Want to know about the pricing.
Check out the Guide below.
So now you can choose your plan and replace your AirPods.
But I guess there may be some questions which you are still trying to figure out.
Don’t worry if we missed even the slightest information we have covered it below in the “Frequently Asked Questions” section. So go check it out!
Frequently Asked Questions
We have listed below a few questions and there answers that users frequently ask.
Let us know in the comment section below if you found it useful!
First, use the “Find My” App to find lost AirPods on a map. Then when you choose enough play a sound on your AirPods to spot them.
This is sad but true. If someone stole your AirPods they can easily use it with any other charging case. Then connect with there iPhone and reset the settings and use like if they were there AirPods.
If your AirPods are within the Bluetooth range of 10 meters or 30 feet you can track them. But after that, you can only see there last location available until they again come in your range.
The map location will only give you a general idea of the location. It will not be very accurate to pin the exact location.
I hope you found this article informative on “How to find lost AirPods?”. We have tried our best to include all the relevant information and methods to help you find your lost AirPods.
If you have any queries related to the article feel free to contact us using the contact box below.
Articles you may like