The first thing that comes into everyone’s mind when we talk about the privacy of our devices is our password. Isn’t it?
And this applies to our computer too. So I’m sure you have landed on this page because you also care about the data you store on your computer and want to keep your account safe.
Do you know that most of the cyber-attacks include a week or stolen password? Yes, that’s true. So if you want to keep your account safe you need a strong password. Moreover, you also need to change your account password from time to time.
So if you have a week password or you have recently shared your password with someone then go ahead and quickly change it to make sure your data is safe.
But these days we have multiple accounts and all those accounts have passwords to login. So how’s it possible to remember all the passwords and also change them frequently to be safe.
We have just the right solution here. Check out the Best Password Manager for your device to leave all this word to one of the best-rated applications. Our choice is 1Password which is one of the best password managers for Windows 10. Click on the link below to get a special discount on it.
Therefore, in this article, I have listed a step by step tutorial on how to change your password in Windows 10. This is a quick tutorial which also includes a list of advantages of changes your password frequently.
NOTE: If you have lost your password, the easiest and the best way is using PCUnlocker (3rd-party software).
But in case you have forgotten your password you can check out our quick guide on “How to Reset Forgotten Admin Password on Windows 10“.
How to Change Your Password in Windows 10
Before moving straight to steps to change your password on Windows 10, let’s get aware of the advantages of it. Changing your password frequently is not just for our Windows 10 computer, but it is suggested you apply it to all your accounts online. We have listed a few advantages below. Let’s check them out!
Advantages of changing your password frequently
- Hackers cannot access your account easily if you frequently keep changing your password.
- If someone knows your old password they cannot breach into your account if you have a good habit of changing your password. The old password will be worthless once you change it.
- If you change your account password it means it won’t match with other account passwords as well. So even if someone hacks one of your passwords it will be impossible to use it for other accounts as they won’t match.
Now it’s clear why it is important to change your password. And this does not mean you have to reset your password every month. You can do it in a few months. Some services suggest resetting passwords every 90 days or so. You can choose what is convenient for you in that case.
Steps to Reset Password in Windows 10
Follow the steps below to quickly change your password in Windows 10.
1. Click on the “Start” button
The Start button is located on the bottom left of the Homescreen. Go ahead and click on it.
2. Choose “Settings”
As soon as you click on the start, a menu will appear. Click on the “Settings” option.
3. Click on “Accounts”
When the “Settings” menu will appear, you will find “Accounts” on the bottom of the menu. Click on it to continue.
4. Choose “Sign-in Options”
In the “Accounts” section you will find “Sign-in options” below the “Your Account” option. Click on it to access and reset the password.
5. Click on “Change your Account Password”
Under the Sign-in options window, you will find two options. The first one will be “Password” and the second will be “PIN”. Click on the “Change your account password” under the “Password” section.
6. Enter the current “Login Password”
Before resetting a new password you are required to enter your current account password to confirm it is you, and no one else is trying to break into your account and change your password. So go ahead and type in your Microsoft account password in the given row.
7. Choose your preferred option to receive the code to reset your password
It is required that you confirm your identity by entering the code that Microsoft sends to your preferred option. In this case, we are choosing, to receive the code by phone number. Therefore enter the last four digits of your phone number in the column given and click enter to receive the code.
8. Enter the code
As soon as you receive the code enter it in the given field and confirm your identity. Now you will be directed to another window where you can reset your password.
9. Enter your New password for Windows 10
Enter your old password first then go-ahead to enter a new password. You will be required to enter your new password twice to make sure it matches.
You have successfully changed your password for Windows 10.
There is one last thing that is most important here to choose a strong password. Here we have listed some tips to choose a strong password that cannot be hacked easily and you can implement it for all your accounts. So check out our tips below.
Tips to Create a Strong Password
It is needless to say that why a strong password is important. So let’s just go ahead and check out how to create on easily.
- Longer passwords are better. Try to choose a password that is long, that does not mean it has to be more than 20 characters. A password having 10-14 characters is better than one having only 4-6 characters as it is easy to hack.
- Use a mix of lower case, upper case letters, symbols, and numbers. A password having a combination of different characters is tough to crack.
- Don’t use common words. The biggest mistake while selecting a password is to choose common words like your name, surname, number, etc. These can be easily guessed. So go for something different.
I hope these tips were helpful and guide you to create a strong password.
So this was our complete guide on how to change your password for Windows 10. We shared not only the steps to change your password but also tips on choosing a strong password. Because choosing a strong password is very important to secure your account.
We hope you found this article useful. If you have tried this method, let us know in the comment section below how useful you found it to be. You can also subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated on the latest posts.
In case you using a Mac you can check out “How to Reset Admin Password on Mac“.