Remember the first time you created your email account? I am sure for most of us the service we choose at that time was Gmail.
Google developed an Email service popularly known as Gmail on April 01, 2004. Though Gmail has some great features which make it stand out from other web mailing services, on the other hand, it has also got some drawbacks which make us look at the best Gmail alternative.
So when you created your first email address earlier, you might not have many options. But now there is a big completion when it comes to email service providers.
Gmail delivers the mails in no time as compared to other services which take a bit longer. It also offers a big storage space up to 10 GB and 25 MB per email capacity. It also does a great job of identifying spam messages. But when we look at privacy and security then Gmail might not be the best option.
Users are concerned about there privacy and no one wants to get spied on. Just like other services of Google, Gmail is also said to target ads based on client behavior.
We have also listed some great Google Search Alternatives here. So before moving forward take a look at them. You won’t believe some great features they offer.
Talking about emails we have a reviewed list of the “Email Verification Apps” that can help you sort bulk mails and those which are spam.
So now let’s have a look at some of the best Gmail alternative, that are based on better privacy, good storage space, reliable service, etc.
The Alternatives to Gmail in 2021
Just like other popular Google services, Gmail still stands out to be on the top in its field. But other email services are approaching users with better and latest features lately.
So if you are also looking for some great email services which are giving a tough fight to Gmail then have a look at the below list. We have searched and found these email services to be the best Gmail alternative.
1. CounterMail – Best Gmail Alternative
Our very first pick in the list of the best Gmail alternative is CounterMail. An email service that claims to be providing privacy and security to its users.
If you have an account with counter mail it will always email anonymous and encrypted and you can access it securely from any part of the world at any time. It offers MITM protection with OpenPGP-encryption.
This ensures that all the information stored in your mails is protected and no one except the user has access to it. It also protects the user’s identity with another layer of protection such as SSL.
How secure can an email get than this one? It offers a free trial for a week. Then if you like its services you can go ahead and make your paid subscription to the service.
Features of CounterMail
- It provides security with OpenPGP-encryption and anonymity with SSL-MITM protection.
- CounterMail is compatible with Android.
- It does not keep any logs of when a user logs in and out.
- This mail service does not keep the information relating to the
- You can create your own domain name with this service.
ProtonMail is an email service based in Canton of Geneva with its servers located in Switzerland. It is free to use, but if you want added features you can opt for the paid upgrades. It offers end-to-end encryption using public-key-cryptography and symmetric encryption. This type of encryption secures the
ProtonMail is easy, secure and another best Gmail alternative if you do not want your mails to be spied on. When a user sends an email to another user it is encrypted and only the recipient has access to the email. Other than that anyone else cannot see the source or content of the email.
One drawback that we found to be prominent with many users was the bad customer service. Users have also claimed that their accounts were frozen giving no major reasons.
Features of ProtonMail
- After a specific time, the email sent self destructs leaving no trace.
- Compose an email with attachment up to 25MB and for the large attachment you can send links to it.
- It is very secure as it sends fully encrypted emails.
- It is quick with accepting attachments.
So, ProtonMail is not an email service for anyone. But what it claims it does a great job in it. Thus if your main concern is privacy and security you can check this service out which does justice to its claims. But if you are looking for some other features then check out our other recommendations for the best Gmail alternative below.
Mailfence launched in November 2013 by ContactOffice Group is an email service that offers end-to-end encryption and digital signatures for emails. Providing digital signatures is an add on compared to other private and secure email services.
Not just limiting itself for being an email it offers a lot of other features too. It is a feature
Its free plan offers 500 MB of storage for a single account. But most of the features in the free plan are restricted. You can opt for its paid plan which is reasonably priced for $ 2.77 per month. It will give access to users to Mailfence powerful features.
Features of Mailfence
- You have an option to send either normal or encrypted emails as per your choice.
- You can create contact lists with Mailfence.
- Another good feature is the calendar which allows users to create polls and share the calendar with group members.
- You can easily access your documents and edit them online.
- Create groups with this email service to share contacts, calendars documents or chat. Users can create an admin and a co-admin.
- As Mailfence is subjected to Belgium law, therefore, any requests for information has to pass through the strict privacy laws for Belgium.
- Users can sign and encrypt the emails at the same time.
Based in Germany, Posteo is an open-source email provider. Germany is well-known for its strict privacy retention laws which makes the service secure internationally. Therefore taking about privacy this is one of the best Gmail alternative available.
If Mailfence seems to be pricy for you then Posteo can be a good alternative which costs $ 1.13 per month and offer great security at such a cheap price. It also offers a 14 days money
All the metadata can be encrypted with it. Its main focus is providing a sustainable, secure and ad-free email service.
Features of Posteo
Posteodoes not require a name, address for creating an account.
- Any information relating to the user such as payment details are not held alongside the account to connect its email account.
- All the data is encrypted with AES encryption.
- Email metadata is secured with TSL with PFS.
- Creating an account with Posteo is easy with just entering a username, password and payment method.
- To access PGP encryption users have to download an add-on MailVelope.
- Good customer service
5. iCloud Mail
As we all know that iCloud is an online storage service from Apple. With this service, users can store different types of data such as photos, documents, videos, etc, and share them with friends and family. It also helps you find your lost devices.
Now talking about iCloud Mail, users have to create a mail account on iCloud using there Apple ID.
With this mail account, users can send, receive and sort emails. There are different ways you can access it easily. One is from an iOS device, another is from a Mac computer and the third is from a
Features of iCloud Mail
- It is a
freeservice of Apple users.
- Compatible with all Apple devices and can be accessed with Microsoft account through Windows computer too.
- Mark files as junk or trash and filters them from inbox to junk folder.
- Users can send big attachments using Maildrop from 20 Mb up to 5 GB.
- A lot of keyword shortcuts available for users.
Talking all about privacy and security, how can we leave behind Tutanota. A popular email service which is dependent on its paid subscriptions and donations for making the service a good business model. It is a free and open-source email service. It also offers end-to-end encryption as we have seen in other email service providers above. Tutanota has its headquarters in Germany.
The main aim of Tutanota email service is to provide privacy for its users. It encrypts all the content of the email, its subject and the attachments.
Features of Tutanota
- Andriod users can avail the open-source app from F-Droid.
- It is an add free service and get funds from donations and paid subscription to run the service successfully.
- This mail service encrypts the entire mailbox and address book.
- It is quick and easy to set up.
- Tutanota encrypts the mailbox and address book with symmetric AES and asymmetric AES/RCA encryption.
- Users can get a custom domain with a premium account.
- It offers free account for 1 GB of storage. You can extend it with upgrading to a paid account.
Yandex is a multinational corporation which offers internet related service and products. One of them is Yandex.Mail. Yandex has its headquarters in Russia and is well known for its search engine which is prominent in Russia.
This email service offers a lot of features apart f
Features of Yandex.Mail
- This email service is absolutely free and offers unlimited online storage.
- It also offers protection by scanning and filtering the incoming mails for spam messages and malware.
- Users can send attachments up to 22MB of size individually.
- If you have a larger file then you can send the link to that file saved in Yandex.Disk. These files can be up to 2 GB.
- On the other hand, if you are receiving files then you can view files with the help of documents viewer. And you can save them to Yandex.Disk too.
- Users can easily save an email as a template to use it later for a similar reply.
- This service also lets you send and receive emails in
any languageand they get translated for you to understand.
Global Mail eXchange or GMX is not similar to any other email services listed above. Though this email service is free, it creates its revenue from advertisements that pop up when you use this service. It
Then why did we list it in our best alternatives section? The reason is that it has good features compared to other email services apart from private and advertisements. If you are not looking for a private email service and you can work with emails popping up, then this email service has a lot to offer.
Features of GMX
- It is a free email service.
- Create an email account easily with basic information such as name, birthdate, preferred email address and password and you are ready to go.
- You can choose your own theme and customise your account.
- It also lets you choose an avatar or just your picture if you want.
- Instant chatting and video chatting is an add on feature of this service.
- Import your Facebook contacts easily to your address box with GMX.
- It has an autoresponder option so when you are away it can send an automated response se
nt by you to the recipient.
- Add attachments up to 50 MB.
9. AOL Mail
Another free web-based email service provider is AOL. AOL is not feature-rich service like GMX, but the features it does offers are good and function perfectly.
If you are looking for a free email service that does well at sending and receiving emails, setting up reminders, have decent attachment sizes, offer unlimited storage for emails, then AOL Mail is it. But don’t forget that this email service also runs advertisements for running the company successfully.
Features of AOL
- It offers unlimited email storage. So don’t have to bother about your email piling up.
- AOL also has a feature to create folders so that you can sort out your emails in different folders according to your preferences.
- Users can send attachments up to 25 MB in each mail.
- It is quite fast and easy to use.
- This email service also offers an autoresponder function like most good email services.
- It also offers trash and spam folders. But users have to manually type in the email address they want to mark as spam.
- It also includes a task calendar. Users can set up alerts using it to set up reminders.
- AOL mail offers a live chat feature.
Runbox Mail Manager is an email service founded in March 2011. This email service also offers a 30-day free trial. It also offers a 60 days money-back guarantee after you have paid for the subscription. This email service is also private and secure. All the data relating to the users and account is encrypted. As it operates from Norway, thus it follows the strict privacy laws present there.
Runbox also offers great tools that help users to switch to this service easily. Users can easily transfer contact addresses. Let
Features of Runbox Mail Manager
- Keeps your account information secure.
- Encrypts data and protects data from being spied.
- Filters Spam and viruses to keep the account safe and clean.
- Offers 1 GB of storage for users on trial period. Later users can select the plans they want according to there preference and increase the storage capacity.
11. Zoho Mail
Next on the list of the best Gmail alternative is Zoho Mail. The reason we recommend this email hosting service is because it works great for organisations and even small businesses. This service keep a track of all your email and tasks with great features such as calendar, notes, bookmarks, etc.
With this great service you can get a custom domain based email address for you and your team. Moreover you can also sort different departments to keep a track of each independently.
When it comes to privacy and security this service offers to encrypt all your data so that it is safe and secure. In case you have technical issues and need support, their team is always available to help you out.
Features of Zoho Mail
- In case you want to opt-out of your old email service provider you can easily transfer all your data and shift to Zoho Mail using its migration feature.
- Working and keep a track of everything in a group is less of a task when it comes to this service. You can collaborate easily and assign tasks, leave notes, share or comment on work going on.
- If you want to get a review on a mail from someone you can share the draft easily without the need to send the mail and then receive it back. It is easy and quick.
- if you are running a business or enterprise this service is great to opt for.
Fastmail is a great email service which is great for personal and professional use. It is not a free service and you have to avail of its paid program. But they do offer a 30 day free trial in case you want to give it a try before buying its service.
This service offers good compatibility as you can use log in to your account from your browser, mobile and desktop apps.
Features of Fastmail
- The top features include calendar, email, and contacts in one place. Users get all the basic features covered and easily accessible from the Inbox.
- You also get to have your personal email and custom domain to make it work professionally.
- Another great feature is to receive for VIP email that you think is most important. In this way, you get notified separately about important email as soon as you receive them in your inbox.
- In case you want to shift to another service you can easily export or import data immediately from Fastmail.
- If you care about your privacy then you should know that this service does not track your activity anytime. And have a service free or advertisement too.
One of the few drawbacks that we found in this service is that it does not offer an unlimited free plan. And the user need to sign up with a valid telephone number. It is therefor suspicious because this information connects directly to users who wish to have there identity hidden and work anonymously.
In this article, we tried to list the best Gmail alternative covering every field possible. So if you are looking for a paid email service provider for top-notch security and privacy then we would suggest choosing from CounterMail and Proton Mail. If you are looking for free email services which can also do a decent Jon then you can choose from Yandex
There are also options for users looking for more than just being an email service. That is Posteo, Mailfence, Runbox, which offer added features like no other email offers. If you are an Apple user and want to stick to Apple products then you have iCloud Mail.
We hope you found this article useful. You can use the comment section below to let us know your reviews if you have tried any of the email services from above.
We would also love to hear from you if you have suggestions for any other service we can add to our list. You can also subscribe to our newsletter for the